The Hungry Ear

waiting then stalking, capturing and devouring fresh, wide-eyed melodofauna. bojibbety is the cry of the soon to be sated Hungry Ear.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canada

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Frances the Mute

Lucky for me, the new album from, 'The Mars Volta' was only 9.99! Incroyable! Yes it might say that about the price, combined with the muscular musicality, murderous guitar solos, mood, tempo, and language changes and sheer scale of the concept, which I've read is based on the 'found' diary of a man in search of his biological parents.

Alex Lifeson of Rush led me to 'The Mars Volta' which led me to review my Yes albums 'Fragile' and 'Closer to the Edge' and now back to.... Though I enjoy well crafted short pop songs I also love albums which cohere and reward the listener many times over the course of 45-60 minutes, like rereading 'Gravity's Rainbow'. 'Frances the Mute' rewards over the course of 76 minutes and there are no sharply defined song endings or beginnings. Put it on repeat and the last song blends seamlessly into the first song. I look forward to discovering and rediscovering this album for a long time to come.

la la la la la

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home