The Hungry Ear

waiting then stalking, capturing and devouring fresh, wide-eyed melodofauna. bojibbety is the cry of the soon to be sated Hungry Ear.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canada

Friday, March 25, 2005

Drinking Coffee, Chewing Chlorophyll

Well, well, well. So much to listen to, so little time. If we went to a 4 day week I could use that extra day to listen to more music, to write more music, to write more about listening and writing music. This week, my birthweek, as I like to think of it I continue to listen to 'The Mars Volta' and now I have the new 'Queens of the Stone Age' with the special time-limited extra DVD, not free mind you.

'Lullabies to Paralyze' is a good, solid QOTSA album. Some surprises, like Billy Gibbons playing lead guitar on 'Burn the Witch' and the beginning of 'Everybody Knows that You Are Insane' that sounds like it could have been written by Chris Cornell. Even the vocal sounds like CC until the chorus. Another surprise was the song, 'In My Head' which was on last years, 'Desert Sessions 9&10' which is another Josh Homme project. Looking forward to days and days of continued listening.

Also on the playing list this week has been Itzhak Perlman's 1972 recording of Nicolo Paganini's 24 Caprices, Op. 1 for solo violin. I'm hoping to cop some licks from a Yngwie Malmsteen transcription of No. 5 in A minor. Extremely daunting as the piece is meant to be played at 168 bpm, much faster than my heart tends to beat even under duress.

And last but not least is the copy of 'Hero and Heroine' by the Strawbs I found this week. An old favourite of mine from 1973 when I was listening to CHOM-FM in Montreal and they would play the whole album because they weren't restrained by an overarching, economically, principled playlist regime, motherfucker train discharge every hour on the hour.

And of course, later this weekend, as promised, my Cuban Journals and a surprise. hehhehheh.

la la la la la

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home