The Hungry Ear

waiting then stalking, capturing and devouring fresh, wide-eyed melodofauna. bojibbety is the cry of the soon to be sated Hungry Ear.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canada

Thursday, March 17, 2005

What's good listening today?

Tool Undertow

Material Hallucination Engine

Tabla Beat Science Live in San Francisco at Stern Grove

The Flaming Lips Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

The Rheostatics The Story of Harmelodia

These are not singles from albums but albums in their entirety. Though a good single may pull me in to listen to the rest of a group/performer's output, I will not continue listening if all they can create is one diamond in a latrine of zircons. That's what all these albums have in common, their respective concepts go beyond crafting a single that will gain airplay and pull the kids out to their concerts.

Now, I would go to a concert put on by any of these groups though I have only seen, 'The Rheostatics' live, on multiple occasions actually, here and in Toronto. I remember seeing them in the winter of '91 at a friends warehouse party. All I really remember of that performance was that one of the guitarist's played a Steinberger guitar, which I thought was exceptionally cool. Of course their songcraft was exceptional as well. I didn't see them again until a show at Richard's on Richards in the fall of 1997. A show which sparkled and led to a renewed interest in their recorded output.

So, when do I get to see the rest of them? hmm?


la la la la la

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home